Thursday, June 6, 2013

I plan to attend the HBSS ROC drill at the CSTF


Professions and professional organizations are marked by, among other things, a professional language.  To be successful in that profession includes mastering the language of the profession and to use it with the other members.   I can read the subject of this blog to anyone in my office and they will know exactly what I am talking about.  So it is with Education; it has its own unique language that we L2 Education speakers must master.

I had signed up for my first M.Ed (uh, Masters in Education) class, SEI, where we would study SIOP.  My wife asked me “What is SIOP?” (pronounced ‘sigh op’).  I quickly replied, “It is psychological operations” (pronounced ‘sigh ops’).  Strike one for the L1 Army speaker.  So, with this daunting dilemma in front of me I have set out to master the language of the Education profession, where I feel somewhat of an ELL (Education Language Learner).  To that end I am developing my own dictionary of terms that I have attached HERE.  I will update it periodically as I add to it and I invite others to add to it and to clarify my own entries.  I try to attribute terms to authors or developers where applicable; if I have missed someone I would appreciate that being pointed out.
And just for those who are interested, translating the subject line: I plan to attend the Host Based Security System (a type of defensive software to protect computer systems against cyber-attack) Rehearsal of Concept drill at the Consolidated Systems Testing Facility – hope that clears it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment