Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Why Education as a Second Language?


I have spent nearly 30 years in the military.  In these 30 years I have learned a profession, become thoroughly engrained in the intricacies of the institution, and have assimilated into the culture.  But all good things come to an end; eventually you must move on to other endeavors.  Instead of pursuing a traditional post-military job, e.g. Defense Contracting, I have decided to be a teacher.  It sounds cool, it is needed, I think I can do it … and yet I know nothing about it.  So now, 30 years down the road, as I make a career U-turn I find that I am not a native Education speaker – it’s a second language to me and I need some sheltered instruction!
This blog then is my reflections on learning education – how an L1 Army speaker moves from being a Stage 1/Preproduction Education speaker to a Stage 4/5 Mainstreamed Education speaker.  I will try and capture my thoughts, questions, answers, concerns, frustrations, resolutions, and solicit feedback on the same so that those of us not born L1 Education Speakers might learn, share, and grow so that someday we too can proudly carry the title: Teacher.

1 comment:

  1. This post absolutely cracked me up. Especially the "I need some sheltered instruction!" comment. I have similar feelings without having the distinguished service career you have.

    ReplyDelete